International students who are studying in the UK for more than 6 months have access to free health care through the National Health Service (NHS). There might be charges for dental treatment and the issue of prescriptions.
As soon as you arrive in the UK you should register with your local General Practitioner (GP) at the Surgery closest to your place of residence. On the NHS website you can find a search for GPs. LSBM will issue you with a letter, which will prove your status as a student. You should take this letter and your passport to register with a doctor.
If you are not entitled to NHS treatment, then you should obtain medical insurance. It is also wise to consider taking insurance for the following circumstances:
- Loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course
- Additional treatment and medical expenses not covered by the NHS (please consult NHS website for details)
- Cost of returning home if a relative is taken ill
- Cost of a relative visiting you if you fall ill
- Returning home for medical treatment